Study in Poland

06 Oct

Poland is a modern and dynamic country full of opportunities for young people willing to get quality education, enhancing their knowledge, improving skills and boosting international experience. With over 1.9 million students it boasts of the highest scholarization indices in Europe. Each year almost half a million young people from the US, Canada, UK, Brazil, China, Israel, Ukraine, Russia, Scandinavian and other European and Asian countries begin their education at Polish universities and colleges.

Why study in Poland?

>Worldwide recognized, Quality education

> European Union Member (28 Countries)

> Schengen Country (visa allows to travel to 26 member countries)

> ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) Student can take transfer to study in any EU country

> Curriculum on American / International Standards.

> Courses completely taught in English language

> Save one year in engineering (Bachelors for 3 years and Masters for 1.5 years to 2 years)

> Settlement option (Blue Card). Work Full time.

> No TOEFL, IELTS required if education has been in English Medium

> Hundreds of students gone through us. Maximum visa success story.

> Various Scholarships offered to students whilst studying such as GE Foundation, etc.

>Part time jobs, Internships. Affordable living costs up to: 240-280 Euros per month

> Poland is the only country that had growth during recession


Students can also study & spend 6-12 months in partner Universities in US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Singapore, Europe, and many other countries at no additional cost through Erasmus program.

This is a great feature for those who wish to experience other countries such as US, Canada, but cannot get direct admissions to the Universities or cost is a factor; financial issues, etc.


  1. Study 1styear in Poland/ 2ndyear in US/ 3rd year in Poland
  2. Study 1st year in Poland/6 months in US/6 months in UK/ 3rd year in Poland
  3. Study 1st year in Poland/ 2nd year in any University in the EU (ECTS)

Education Poland is a unique initiative specially designed to offer Polish Higher education & Research opportunities to International students & professionals.

We work with Universities on long-term agreements to recruit International students from all over the globe offering Admissions in different fields of education (Medical, Engineering, Management, etc.).

Fees and funding

Higher education in Poland is free for Polish citizens. If you wish to benefit from this as well, you will need to sit the same entrance exams as Polish students and study a course taught in the Polish language. Otherwise, international students are required to pay tuition fees, which are typically in the range of US$2,300-4,530 per year at public universities in Poland. Fees at private universities in Poland will be slightly higher; depending on your course and the institution, the fees could be up to US$6,800 a year. Universities in Poland have recently stopped charging these fees in full up-front, in order to ensure that fees do not present too much of a barrier for international students.

Note that there are relatively few scholarships available for foreign students, so it’s likely that you’ll need to cover your own costs. However, it may be worth checking with the universities to which you are applying, to see whether any funding opportunities are available.

Applying to study in Poland

Polish higher education lasts for three years at undergraduate (bachelor’s) level and one and a half or two years at master’s level. In order to apply, you need to provide proof of having successfully completed the previous level of studies, along with proof of English language proficiency (unless you are a native speaker). Some courses may require that you sit an entrance exam or present a portfolio of work. You can also choose to study in Polish, in which case you’ll either need to submit proof of proficiency in the language or enroll in a year-long language course to prepare.

Living costs

Costs of living in Poland are relatively low, though the amount of money you need will vary depending on your lifestyle and the city you’re based in. You will probably need at least 1,200-2,500 PLN (~US$320-670) per month to cover living costs, including accommodation. Accommodation in student halls of residence is usually cheaper at around 400-600 PLN (~US$110-160) per month, whereas a shared rented flat could cost around 1,000 to 1,600 PLN (~US$270-430) per month.

Health insurance is compulsory for all students for the entire length of their stay in Poland. Students from the EU are eligible for free or discounted health care if they can present a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), while it’s recommended that non-EU students buy health insurance either before or as soon as possible after their arrival in Poland.



The two main documents you will to enter Poland if are not a EU citizen are a valid travel document (passport) and a visa (if required).


As a general rule you need a visa to enter Poland. There are, however, a number of countries that are free of this requirement. You can check if your country is on the list here:

Poland is a part of the Schengen zone, so you can apply for a Polish visa and travel all around Europe (excluding the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia and states outside of the EU).

There are several types of visas to choose from:

“A” type – an airport transit Schengen visa, so it cannot be used by a student coming to Poland
“C” type – a short-term Schengen visa allowing the holder to stay in the Schengen territory for up to 90 days in 180 days period
“D” type – a long-term national visa issued for up to one year allowing travel around the Schengen area for up to 90 days in a 180 days period A visa can only be extended in exceptional situations. Should you need to stay in Poland longer than specified in your visa please do apply for the temporary residence permit (see below)

5 easy steps to get a visa

1) Find a Polish consulate that can process you application. You can use the MFA’s search engine

2) Read carefully ALL the information concerning visa application on the consulate’s website and follow ALL the instructions.

3) Set a visa appointment with the consulate. In most cases you will have to register through the website:

4) Prepare the necessary documents, including: application form, travel document (passport), biometric photo, health insurance, sufficient means to support yourself, documents confirming the purpose of your stay. The specifics of the required documentation may vary among consulates, so confirm them with the consulate’s website.

5) Submit all the documents including a printed and signed application form and the visa fee. Your visa application is complete. It will take up to 15 days for it to be reviewed.


Who needs it?

Every Non-EU student needs it.

You should apply for a Temporary Residence Permit before your visa expires.

When you receive the permit you will be issued a Temporary Residence Card, an ID card that proves that you have a residence permit. Together with you travel document it allows you to cross the Polish border as many times as you wish. The first residence permit is issued for the period of 15 months. It can be renewed for periods of up to 3 years but for no longer than the remainder of your studies.

REMEMBER: You should apply for the Temporary Residence Card when you are legally staying in Poland, which means after you arrive, but before the expiry of your visa


You have to apply for a Temporary Residence Permit with the local Voivodship Office. You can find a complete list of offices here: : The documents you will need to legalise your stay include an application form, photos and documents proving your identity and citizenship, address, purpose of stay (a certificate from your school) health insurance and possession of sufficient funds. For detailed information check out the Voivodship Office’s website. The procedure costs 390 PLN in total.

GWS helps students to apply for a student visa to Poland. The procedures may vary depending on the country you come from. However, some of the requirements remain the same for all the countries and they include:

A filled-in visa application form
Valid passport
Official letter of acceptance to a university in Poland
A short CV
Your school certificates and diplomas
Evidence of proficiency in the language in which you wish to study
Confirmation of having the funds for studying and living in Poland
Health insurance
A photo
If you would like to learn the requirements for visa application from your country, feel free to contact us!

Stay permit

Another condition you need to fulfill to be able to study in Poland is to legalize your stay in the territory of the Republic of Poland. If you are a European Union (EU) citizen and you would like to stay longer than three months in Poland, you need to register your stay in the country. If you are a non-EU citizen, you need to obtain a visa at a Polish consulate in your home country before your arrival in Poland. Once in Poland, in order to prolong your stay, you need to apply for a Temporary Stay Card – karta czasowego pobytu – 45 days before your visa expires. To arrange this, feel free to contact one of World Wide College.

Work Permit after study in Poland :

If you are studying in Poland and you have a Stay Card (Karta pobytu), you can legally work in the country and you do not have to have a work permit. If you are in doubt, please log in and contactone of our staff members.

Stay Card (Karta pobytu)

We will be happy to help you to arrange or prolong your Stay Card, if you already have it. Once you begin your studies in Poland, you gain the right to stay in the country for the maximum period of three months.

It is recommended that you apply for a Stay Card soon after your come to Poland, and no later than 3 months from the date of your arrival. Polish Stay cards are usually issued for a period of two years with the possibility of cyclic renewal. The total period of residence in Poland on the basis of Stay Card cannot be longer than ten years.

Foreigners who are not from the EU member states can also apply for a Stay Card. They also need to have a Polish visa in order to enter the country. We can help you with your visa application. You must have a visa in order to apply for a Stay Card.

The documents needed for a Stay Card applications are as follows:

4 copies of the filled in application form (1 original and 3 copies)
5 current colour photographs (dimensions: 4,3 cm x 3,5 cm, left facial profile)
A photocopy of your traveling document (like passport) and the original for review
A proof of the registry of your residence address at a local government office
A proof of payment of the processing fee
If you are applying for the Stay Card based on the fact of the commencement or continuation of your studies, you need to submit in addition:

Your legal right to live in your current address and the documents confirming the renting cost (i.e. your lease contract)
A document confirming you have sufficient funds to pay the rent and to return to your home country after graduation
Health insurance or a confirmation that the cost of your treatment in Poland will be covered by your insurer
Confirmation from your school that you have been admitted for a course or that you are entitled to continue your studies. A proof of payment of all tuition fees is also required
If you are participating in the EU training and work placements in Poland, in addition, you need to present:

A document confirming your participation in a training program or work placement
If you are in Poland on a scientific research program, you need to submit:

A contract confirming your placement in a research program of a given institution in the territory of Poland, and written confirmation of that institution that they will cover the costs of your stay
All of the above regulations come from the Ministry Act of 13th June 2003 on Foreigners in Poland.

Once you have your Stay Card, you can legally work in Poland!